Sunday, August 4, 2013

About AIST


My internship has finished and I've safely returned to Thailand. In this post, let me introduce a little bit about AIST, the research institute I did my internship at.

The National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) is a public research organization largely funded by the government. AIST in its current form has been established recently in 2001, but it predecessor has been active since 1882. AIST’s main headquarters are located in Tokyo and Tsukuba, with my workplace being the Tsukuba campus.

In many places inside the campus, AIST’s charter together with the motto “Full Research in Society, for Society” can be found. The content of its charter includes “Accurate Assessment of Social Trends”, “Creation of Knowledge and Technology”, “Application of Research Findings” and “Responsible Conduct”.

AIST conducts many fields of research including energy, geology, chemistry, biology, materials, IT, health and many more. Because I'm studying Computer Science for my bachelor, my internship is at the Information Technology Research Institute (ITRI) whose job is to perform research on various IT services in order to bring improvement to the society. Within the ITRI, I am in the Grid Infraware Research Group, which does research on the infrastructure of today’s popular “grid computing” or “cloud computing”.

No comments:

Post a Comment