Monday, July 15, 2013

Sea Day: Yokohama

Today is "Sea Day" (海の日), a national holiday in Japan to emphasize the importance of the sea to Japan (remember that Japan is an island country). So I decided to use this chance to explore more of Japan and go to Yokohama, which is next to the sea (no beaches, unfortunately).

From Tsukuba to Yokohama on Google Maps
Note that I went to the Minatomirai station and not the Yokohama station, since Yokohama station is more or less a business district than a tourist attraction. When I got there, I immediately looked for the sea and took a picture!

Not what most people would expect when talking
about the sea, but it's the sea nevertheless.
Next, I went to have lunch. I left Tsukuba at 9.10 am and the trip took around an hour and a half. Add a bit of time wondering around Minatomirai and it's now time for lunch. However...


Every single shop has a long queue. It seems like there's a lot of people who came here (though I'm not sure what all of them came for, since I didn't really see that much people at the attractions). In the end, I've settled for convenience store lunch (which, for the record, also had a long line).

Remember the landscape picture I've posted up there? My friends on Facebook saw the Ferris Wheel and wanted me to go up there. So I figured "it's only ¥700, why not?" Here's some of the views from up there.




Next, I went to the Cup Noodles museum, showcasing the history of the invention of Cup Noodles. The entrance fee is ¥500, with additional fees for activities if you want to join (mostly for kids). Did you know that Nissin is the original company for instant noodles and that it was invented by one person, Momofuku Ando?


Me and Cup Noodles-kun

Showcasing the different packages of Cup Noodle.
(This is only a small part.) 
Instant Ramen for astronautical use

Make your own Cup Noodles workshop

Cup Noodles playground
After that is done, I went to the Osanbashi pier (great view!) and stopped by the China town before returning to Tsukuba.

Walking up the pier

Ocean Dream, a ship docked at the pier
On top of the pier
The China town at Yokohama

No comments:

Post a Comment